As the hearts of Nigerians bleeds following the rapid lost of lives in the country, mostly that of the killing of innocent citizens in Plateau State, on Thursday 28th June, another news of a fallen petrol tanker that claimed countless lives in Lagos broke and the news left the internet with tears littered all over.
A Nigerian actor Alex Ekubo took to Instagram to publish a piece of information that described the state of his broken heart. The statement which points to bad and careless governance ended up encouraging Nigerians to seat up and go get their PVC to enable them take charge of their votes come 2019 election.
Alex Ekubo – ”I woke up this morning with a heavy heart, i’m sick of the disparity between things as they are, and as they should be. I’m tired. I’m tired of the truth, i’m tired of lying about the truth, I’m tired of pretending that everything is okay, when actually it isn’t. Use social media to show the world the Nigeria you want them to see, lets see how we can correct what Chimamanda Adichie aptly described as “the danger of a single story”.
”But how do you tell a homeless person not to wash his dirty linen in public, when clearly he lives in public view, Living in Nigeria has become like living an unending episode of a series of unfortunate events, we can’t seem to catch a break, well i’m tired, i’m done pretending, so dear World, here are a few truths about Nigeria your giant of Africa.
”I once likened Nigeria to the proverbial “Small dog, with a big name” after filming in Cameroon for 8 days without experiencing power outage, they called me unpatriotic,but truth is since i was born, i have never experienced steady power supply in my country, it is important to note i turned 32 in April.
* we have always suffered what my dad described as “the tragedy of foisted leaders”, the leaders in my country constantly tell us that we are the leaders of tomorrow, yet 80 & above still cling to power like its their oxygen tank.
* we have an arm of the police called FSARS, whose job description is harassment, bullying and extortion of innocent & harmless citizens. #EndSars #EndSarsBrutality
* we are led by a president who went on international television to call the youth of his country Lazy, undeserving & uneducated.
* Herdsmen go into a community killing everyone & the government of the day won’t declare a state of emergency or move a muscle.
* in my country a cow has equal or more rights than a human being.
* we just lost innocent lives as a result of a tanker explosion on Otedola bridge, they still won’t do anything to change traffic/motoring safety.
* Nigeria is NOT working, Nigeria is NOT working, have i said that enough?
”Please nobody should tell me to Pray For Nigeria, INEC would not count our prayer points. Get your PVC, we need to end this.”
Alex’s post on social media attracted lots of comments from pained Nigerians who yearn for a more habitable environment in Nigeria.
While some social media were encouraging Nigerians to pray harder and the blood spill in the country is becoming alarming, a social media user identified to be Faa Williams said:
Faa Williams – This is not a matter of praying…Nigeria is one of the most prayerful countries in the world if not number one. Our government and leaders are still using 1992 brain processor to govern the country. In all other countries you will never see a tanker moving during the day especially on busy roads routs where private vehicles moves. When do we really start living the real new millenium dreams to enjoy good roads networks, 24/7 electricity and water system, clean environment and security?
Stay connected to Surge Zirc for more updates.