As thought-provoking as African proverbs are, one cannot deny the fact that sometimes they can break your ribs.
These carefully selected African proverbs below best suit such a fact. Go on, read each one of these proverbs and please make sure you laugh in the privacy of your room before you get wrongfully admitted to the psychiatric hospital!
1. He who has diarrhea knows the direction of the door without being told – Uganda
2. Anger, no matter how hot it is, can never cook a yam – Nigeria
3. It is okay for a child to play with the mother’s breasts, but not the father’s testicles – Guinea
4. Men would not tell lies if women asked less questions.
5. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers – Uganda
6. It’s the fear of what tomorrow may bring that makes the tortoise carry its house along wherever it goes – Nigeria
7. Human excreta will always smell, no matter how small – Gambia
8. However much the buttocks are in a hurry, they will always remain at the back.
9. You have to be careful to kill a fly that has perched on your scrotum – Ghana
10. The little opportunity given to a monkey to wear cloths, does not guarantee it to join the dinning table.
11. A man who counts his money after withdrawing from the ATM has trust issues- Nigeria
12. Drinking garri doesn’t mean you’re poor but allowing it to swell before drinking is poverty! – Ghana
13. When a girl has beauty without Brains, the Private parts suffer the most.
14. The buttocks are like a married couple; though there is constant friction between them, they will still love and live together.
15. The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem – Ethiopia
16. A short man is not a boy – Nigeria
17. The frown on the face of the goat will not stop it from being taken to the market – Nigeria
18. An old lady feels uneasy when dry bones are mentioned in a proverb – Ghana
19. A person who sells eggs should not start a fight in the market.
20. Without fools there would be no wisdom.
21. No matter how far you urinate, the last drop always falls at your feet.
22. Because the sun is too hot does no mean the fowl will lay boiled eggs – Nigeria
23. The Okro plant never grows taller than the owner.
24. Whoever tells the truth is chased out of nine villages -Kenya